History of creation: The Passage Hotel was built for only two years from 1898 to 1900, which is hard to believe today. The main creator of this, without any doubt, an outstanding historical and architectural ensemble should be considered a brilliant architect – Lev Lvovich Vlodek. The sculptors Fishel and Milman should be separately noted, their joint experience of working with the architect Vlodek on this building developed and was realized in the equally famous building of the Bolshaya Moskovskaya Hotel. Having existed for only a year, a fire broke out in the building. As a result of the fire, the interior of the building burned down, the facade from the side of Preobrazhenskaya Street was damaged, but thanks to the selfless actions of the Odessa Firefighters, the architectural monument and nearby buildings were miraculously saved. The corner tower, sculptural groups on the street were lost. Preobrazhenskaya and some details of the facade that could not be recreated.
Location of the object: The building of the hotel “Passage” is located within the boundaries of the central historical area of Odessa in the quarter bounded by Deribasovskaya, Preobrazhenskaya, Grecheskaya streets and Vice-Admiral Zhukov lane. It flanks block buildings at the intersection of ul. Deribasovskaya and Preobrazhenskaya. Hotel “Passage” is surrounded by buildings of administrative and office, hotel, retail and residential purposes, made in a variety of styles (classicism, empire, eclecticism, modern). In close proximity to the design site there is an urban planning and landscape formation – Cathedral Square and Preobrazhensky Square.
Architect Vlodek: Architect Vlodek was born in 1842 in Zhitomir, in Odessa he worked since 1864. He was the first to successfully implement reinforced concrete structures in the design of residential and public buildings (foundations of the Passage and Bolshaya Moskovskaya hotels). Some of the most significant objects created according to his projects and with his participation should be noted. This is the house of Imbra – on the corner of Preobrazhenskaya and Elisavetinskaya, Rosenblat’s house – on the corner of Preobrazhenskaya and Pochtovaya, Duryan’s house – on the corner of Preobrazhenskaya and Kherson, Ptashnikov’s mansion – on Kanatnaya, Velikanov – on the corner of Polskaya street and the eponymous descent, Rauchverger – on Pushkinskaya, his own tenement house on Novoselsky, the mansion of the same Mendelevich – on Marazlievskaya, the famous Falts-Fein mansion and their tenement house on Gogol street (“House with Atlanteans”, which became the emblem of the World Club of Odessa residents), hotel “Passage” (1898-1899). ), the Sanzenbacher circus, the Kryzhanovsky-Audersky tenement house on Marazlievskaya Street, the Merchant Shipping School on Kanatnaya, the Prison Castle complex, and so on. An incredibly skillful, inventive and prolific master!
Building architecture: The architecture of the “Passage” building is eclectic with a predominance of “French Baroque” elements. However, in his appearance, the architect’s sharp turn from eclecticism to modern is clearly manifested. It is enough to pay attention to the entrance to the building, so that in the free poses of the framing figures, in the folds of robes, curved stems of roses, one can catch a sensuality that is unusual for eclectic motives. And built a little later, at the peak of the style development, “Bolshaya Moskovskaya” amazes with overflowing imagination, the variety of decor creates a feeling of pulsating walls, a living, not ossified organism. The new Renaissance, the foresight of cardinal cultural changes – these are the moods of modernity, expressed in stylized forms. The richness of decorative forms – pilasters, consoles, cornices and rods, carved fillings for window and door openings – create a restless play of light and shade. Bay windows in the fourth and eighth window axes have become powerful architectural accents in the symmetrical composition of the main facade. As part of a residential development in one of the central quarters of the city, the building stands out for its monumental height and shape, which fits well into the architectural appearance of the quarter.
About the Project: The main and main idea of the project: to continue and complete the architectural composition of the building, as Vlodek himself would have done using his ideas and the main stylistic direction.
The project provides for the reconstruction of the building with internal redevelopment and the erection of an attic floor from the corner tower in place of the lost one. It is also proposed to build an underground parking lot to service the shopping and hotel complex. Particular attention is paid to details and their historical significance. So, for example, the roofing material was chosen similar to the material used by Vlodek – zinc roofing sheets of gray-brown range. This technique, firstly, creates a historical correspondence, and secondly, this range is better suited and combined with the colors of the facade and the shadow of the main cornice. The hidden floor method was also used. Separately, it must be said about the tower. Being the main crowning element, it corresponds to historical justice and at the same time carries a new functional purpose. The architecture of the tower is made in the best traditions of the Baroque and is originally a native element. It has several important functions: first, this element (unfortunately, lost in a fire) designed by Vlodek in the Baroque style is the main silhouette element of the corner of the building, the absence of which leads to the deprivation of the facade of its integrity. The second – inside there is a restaurant hall and an observation deck, where a beautiful panorama of the entire city center opens all year round. Now residents of Odessa and guests of the city can enjoy the view hitherto inaccessible to the general public. It will be a kind of historical museum of the city, where the exhibits will be the city itself, its architecture. Here you can see the Main Cathedral and Cathedral Square in a new perspective, the buildings of Gaevsky’s pharmacy, Deribasovskaya and City Gardens, and even the port.
The team of authors:
GAP Povstanyuk M.G.
Leading architect of the project Povstanyuk M.M.
Категорія: Hotels, Office and commercial centers, Reconstruction